Plus-size women deserve cute clothes! Learn how to make comfortable and flattering garments with Barbara Deckert, author of Sewing for Plus Sizes.
Who says you can't be plus-size and fashionable? Learn how to make stylish clothes that fit and flatter your body in Plus-Size Pattern Fitting and Design.
Barbara Deckert, author of Sewing for Plus Sizes and Sewing 911: Practical and Creative Rescues for Sewing Emergencies, draws on years of custom dressmaking and her own experience as a large woman. She teaches this class with honesty, warmth and humor.
As you work along with Barbara, you'll pick up dozens of techniques and design tips about pattern adjustment, fitting and construction. Her techniques apply to any garment, for any size person, male or female. But this class focuses on the unique figure variations and clothing needs of the plus-size woman. It's about time!
What You'll Learn
- Pattern alteration techniques used in custom dressmaking
- How to make or adjust a dress form to your custom measurements
- Design considerations and fabric suggestions for the plus-size woman
- How to adjust and true darts for a flattering fit
- What the wrinkles in your clothes are telling you about the fit, and how to make them disappear
- Creating a basted garmet for fitting adjustments
- Supply and workspace suggestions for plus-sized sewists
What You'll Make
Vogue 8815, a classic peplum top with short, long or no sleeves. This pattern, included FREE with the class, includes sizes to U.S. 24 (46" or 112 cm bust), but Barbara shows you how to adjust or upsize it to fit your unique figure and how to create four design variations from understated to edgy.
What You'll Need
- Intermediate sewing skills, including some garment sewing experience
- Fashion fabric and notions for your chosen pattern and size
- Sewing machine
- 60" or 120" tape measure and dressmaker's ruler
- Tissue paper and adding machine tape or scrap paper
- General sewing supplies
- 11 HD video lessons with anytime, anywhere access
- Downloadable class materials, including measurement charts and construction guidelines
- Hours of close-up instruction
- Answers from Barbara in our virtual classroom
- Watch classes on your own schedule: wherever, whenever you want
- Your access never expires
- 100% money back guarantee
- Introduction (12:48)
Meet Barbara and go over what you'll learn in this class.
- Design Rules & Considerations (39:22)
Learn about design principles such as proportion, line, color, texture and fabric pattern and how they affect the finished look of your garment.
- Working with Dressforms (38:26)
Take standardized measurements and measure figure variations. Learn to make a dress form.
- Taking Measurements (24:42)
Prepare for measuring and learn measuring tips. Discover the concept of ease and how to select a pattern size.
- Adjusting for Width (34:12)
Calculate and mark width adjustments for tops, pants and other garments.
- Adjusting for Length (30:36)
Learn to calculate for both increasing and decreasing length alterations.
- Adjusting the Bust (43:35)
Understand darts and learn to mark and make bust adjustments.
- Figure Variations (28:06)
Learn to make adjustments for figure variations including a rounded upper back, large upper arms, and a rounded backside.
- Basted Garment (43:27)
Learn the importance of basted fitting. Join your garment pieces together using basting stitches.
- Fitting & Finishing Your Garment (52:03)
Put on the garment and check the fit. Make adjustments to your pattern pieces, then learn to make permanent adjustments.
- Design Variations (31:25)
Discover ways to design garments for everyday scenarios, including work, social occasions and play.
- Supported OS: Web Browser